If you are in DC on the evening of April 14 and are interested in Tax Justice, here’s an event you might want to attend:
Thursday, April 14, 2016
5:30 - 8:30 PM
Harry Harding Auditorium, 2nd Floor
Elliott School of International Affairs
1957 E Street NW, Washington, D.C.
The Institute for International Economic Policy at the George Washington University is pleased to host a film screening, book release, and panel discussion on Thursday, April 14. The program is being supported by former IIEP Director James Foster, a renowned authority on development, inequality, and poverty, and by Professor Thomas Pogge, Professor of Philosophy at Yale University.
Our event will lead off with the DC premiere of a critically acclaimed new documentary, The Price We Pay. This will be followed by a distinguished panel on specific reform ideas and how to get them adopted. These include recent proposals to curtail corporate inversions right now and Senator Elizabeth Warren’s powerful critique of the Schumer bill, as well as several more basic “big reform ideas” drawn from the book Global Tax Fairness, co-edited by Dr. Thomas Pogge and Krishen Mehta. The book addresses fifteen different reform proposals that the authors argue are urgently needed to correct the structural flaws in the international tax system as it exists today. This event is open to the press and advance copies of Global Tax Fairness are available to the press upon request. Please contact James Henry at (516)-721-1452 with additional questions.
A Panel Discussion that follows the launch will include:
- Brigitte Alepin and Harold Crooks, Co-Writer and Director of The Price We Pay
- Raymond Baker, founder of Global Financial Integrity
- Elise Bean, former Staff Director for Senator Levin’s Permanent Subcommittee for Investigations
- Frank Clemente, Executive Director of Americans for Tax Fairness
- Jim Henry, distinguished author and activist for tax justice
- David Cay Johnston, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist
- Blanca Moreno-Dodson, Lead Economist of the World Bank’s Global Tax Team
- Ralph Nader, political activist and former presidential candidate
- Dr. Thomas Pogge, Co-Editor of Global Tax Fairness and Director of the Global Justice Program at Yale University
We expect to confirm shortly the participation in the panel by former senator Bill Bradley and the distinguished Senator Elizabeth Warren.
More information is available here.